VeganMoFo

Wednesday 9 September 2015

Vegan MoFo day 9 - Most retro recipe

When I think of retro food, I think of 70's favourites like prawn cocktails. I've never actually had one but thought it would be easy to veganise using Fry's crispy prawns. In hindsight, I wish I'd have used something like Vbites making waves fishless fingers as they are, in my opinion, pretty fishy! The Fry's ones were hugely disappointing, it just tasted like their chicken nuggets with a minuscule amount of seaweed (really, it's the last thing on their list of ingredients). They weren't bad, just not at all fishy in any way and for £3.99 for a box, they should be better than their cheaper competitors.

That said, with the cocktail sauce I made, it made for a pleasant retro experience. I baked the 'prawns', left to cool then removed the batter. Chopped the fishless strips into smaller pieces and mixed in to a bowl of cocktail sauce (vegan salad cream, ketchup and a dot of tobasco......you can use Mayo instead but will need something like sherry vinegar to give it that tang).
I served it in an avocado and munched my way through my retro treat.



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what you mean about the flavour. When I bought some the guys in the shop warned me they were more like chicken so I ended up making a lemon chicken noodle dish with them. If you can get to a Chinese supermarket a lot of them stock vegan prawn which taste much more prawn-like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I've not heard of that before! I've noticed mock duck and chicken but not that. We have a few Chinese supermarkets in our city now so will keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete