VeganMoFo

Monday 8 September 2014

You say potato, I say MORE BUTTER!

Yeah, so I made  Welsh onion cake which is essentially potato, butter, onions, more potato, more butter and probably more butter again. This was really easy to veganise since the only thing I really needed to change was the butter, using vegan margarine instead. I had to have a lie down after this, think I had some kind of carb brown-out.

Ingredients
100g melted vegan margarine
500g onions, I used a mix of spring, white and chives but the original recipe calls for just white
2 rosemary sprigs
1kg of maris piper potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Use about the quarter of the marge to saute the onions and rosemary in a frying pan for about 15 minutes whilst the oven is warming up.
When they're ready remove from the heat and discard the rosemary sprigs.
Thinly slice the potatoes and put about half of them in a dish. Pour half the remaining marge over these, then spread the onions over the top. Add the remaining potatoes then cover that with the last of the marge. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast with a lid on for about 40 mins, then remove the lid to brown the top layer for another 20 mins or so.
Traditionally you would turn this over to serve but fork that noise, I am way too messy to do stuff like that and not have it fall apart.


6 comments:

  1. It actually looks pretty delicious. Pre-vegan I used to have dauphinoise at my aunt's in France which was literally potatoes, sometimes onions, and cream. So perhaps the French and the Welsh can fight for the least healthy dish! Tasty though I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. I always have time for a weekend potato binge, followed by a good flake on the couch, and your dish would be so worth it Rosie. What temperature for the oven? - jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, I totally forgot to write that down, I think I put it in about gas mark 5 or 6.

      Delete
  3. You are winning with potato recipes this MoFo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think I have one more up my sleeve. Yay potatoes.

      Delete
  4. Ooh that does sound incredibly good. Probably worth the carb brown-out.

    ReplyDelete