VeganMoFo

Saturday 13 September 2014

Welsh faggots with peas, mash and onion gravy

I made these up last night as I thought I had tvp in the house but it transpires I imagined that. So I made these with brown lentils instead! They're my meat-free alternative to the traditional faggots which are made with all kinds of gross stuff like pigs innards. I always remember as a kid having them with rice (we used to call them birds nests!). I digress. This was a total make-it-up-as-I-go-along so it does need tweaking, I'll try to update it when I get time to make it again.

Ingredients

1 large onion
Oil for frying
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tbsp tamari
1 cup cooked brown lentils
1 tbsp dried parsley
A few sage leaves
1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast (depending on personal preference - I love nooch so used 2)
Egg replacer for one egg (I used orgran)


Method

Gently fry the onions, then add all the other ingredients. Add a little water and bring to the boil. Simmer on a low heat until all the water has evaporated. Leave to cool. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. When completely cool, form into tight balls then lightly fry for 5-10 minutes on each side (depending on your preference of having them crispy or what-not). You could oven-bake them but they'll probably fall apart.
Serve with mash, peas and onion gravy.


4 comments:

  1. That looks perfect! Did you prefer them with the lentils over the tvp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They worked pretty good and were really moist. I'd be tempted to use them over tvp in the future, I just have to work on them binding a bit better :)

      Delete
  2. These sounds super delicious. Way, way better than the original!

    ReplyDelete