VeganMoFo

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Welsh cakes with orange zest

Well my MoFo theme wouldn't be complete without some Welsh cakes now, would it? Firstly I apologise for the cack photo, I totally forgot to take one after I made them so had to quickly snap something before work, which I was already running late for when I realised. Soz.
Welsh cakes were traditionally cooked on bake-stones back in the day, I used a cast iron pan for mine which is essentially the same thing....right? Well it's as close to a bake-stone as I'll get.
They typically aren't made with orange at all but I think mixed spice and orange are a match made in heaven.

My recipe makes 5-6 Welsh cakes. Double quantities for a larger batch.

Ingredients
150g plain flour
50g currants
75g vegan margarine
50g caster sugar plus extra for dusting
1/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp mixed spice
Juice and zest of an orange

Method
Sift the flour and mix with the caster sugar, mixed spice, salt, currants and baking powder. Chop the margarine into small pieces then add this, along with the orange juice to the flour. Rub the margarine into the flour and squish it all by hand until you get an even dough consistency.

Flour your surface and rolling pin, then roll into an even dough, about  1cm thick. If you make your dough too thick they will not cook through.
Use a cookie cutter or knife to shape your dough into round pieces.Cook your cakes on a low setting for 4-6 minutes each side, until cooked through.
Dust with caster sugar and orange zest.

Enjoy them whilst they're hot :)




7 comments:

  1. These look great! I can't wait to give them a try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good, especially with the addition of orange juice & zest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love Welsh cakes but I've never made them with orange before - I'll have to give it a try. Spiced orange Welsh cakes sounds great for the coming cold months...

    ReplyDelete
  4. High-five for welsh cakes! My nanna used to make the best ones. I did attempt a vegan version years ago but I defo need to try them again soon. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum - I really need to try these - esp with the orange twist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm belatedly working through Vegan MoFo posts, so this comment is outdated, but wanted to say how great these look!

    ReplyDelete