VeganMoFo

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Roasted curried squash soup

This was made with the last of my market vegetable haul (sad face). I normally make it with butternut squash but this time I made it with patty pan. Those things are not easy to peel! I have to give a shout out to my dear friend Tansy for this recipe, it's based on one of hers. I'm sorry for all the soup recipes, I just really love soup. But I promise you pie this week! And other exciting things. Mostly pie.

Ingredients
1 squash, peeled and cut into chunks
2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
1 tbsp mustard seeds
4 cloves of garlic
Rice bran oil or other neutral oil for frying and baking
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric powder
3 cups of water
A vegetable stock cube
200ml coconut milk
Freshly ground salt and black pepper

Method
In an oiled baking tray, place the chopped squash, chopped carrots and quartered onions. Place the cloves of garlic, whole and still with skins on, on top. Cover in oil and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the veg is just starting to brown, remove from the oven.
Whilst the veg is cooling enough to be able to handle, in a saucepan gently fry the mustard seeds in oil until they begin to pop. When they are popping, remove from the heat and add the garam masala and turmeric, stirring quickly for the spices to absorb the oil. Add the water, vegetable stock cube and salt and pepper and simmer on a low heat.
Squeeze the garlic out of the skin and add to the pan with the rest of the vegetables. It's essential you leave the skin on whilst roasting as it makes it sweet.
Add the coconut milk then using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
Simmer without bringing back to the boil for a further 20-30 minutes to let the flavours develop.
Check for seasoning then serve.






2 comments:

  1. You can never have enough soup recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Panda, I love soup. I like all the spices that go into this one! It still looks very orange despite the patty pan/butternut sub. And I didn't even consider peeling patty pan when I had it earlier this month, maybe that would've helped make it less bitter.

    ReplyDelete